Sunday, 23 August 2009

Jumping on the Bandwagon


Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi was released from Jail on Thursday 20th August amidst hails of complaints and objections. Within minutes politicians from both sides of the Atlantic were queuing up to voice their opinions for and against. According to the BBC this morning ' a previous first minister of that country' was voicing his objections and saying it was a "grave error of judgment". I am perhaps becoming too cynical as my first thought was that no matter what the decision was, it would have been a "grave error of judgment" to that politician, wanting to jump onto the bandwagon and get his face on the morning news!
I feel for the families of the victims, it can't be easy for all this to be brought up again. I did notice in a recent poll that some of the families agreed with his release which I thought was a very brave stance to take. It would be easy to take the 'let him rot in jail' approach. To put themselves above the political wrangling and show compassion is very admirable

If I was asked I would agree with the decision to release him. I don't agree with the welcome he got, but I can see why it happened. I certainly don't agree with the comments of politicians trying benefit from this, and I think the calls for boycotting Scottish goods from certain Americans is ludicrous!
Hopefully this will all become old news in a couple of days, when the next political scandal hits the news, after all parliament will soon be back after the summer holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment